photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 7:10 am  #1

Music in the Background

It was my friend Bob, otherwise known as "Bobby Sausage," who introduced me to the idea of music in the background during game play. I think it was around 1984 when he threw in the cassette for Conan the Barbarian, the score by Basil Poledouris. I haven't done it that often, but I do recall using Holst's Mars: Bringer of War during one campaign session.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

3/03/2014 9:08 am  #2

Re: Music in the Background

Those are good ones. We don't typically have music playing in my regular 1E group, but we always did back in high school (usually the soundtrack for the Dune PC game) and we were listening to Rush last weekend when EOTB, capitalbill, my brother and Fridge gathered for an OD&D one-shot. I like music in the background so long as it's not too loud. Needs to be at a level you can easily ignore if necessary.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/03/2014 9:11 am  #3

I used to play a Dune PC game back in the early Nineties, but I don't remember the music...

Basically, you picked a House, and you tried to take control of the spice and the planet.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

3/05/2014 12:52 pm  #4

I occasionally run a playlist that includes the Conan soundtrack, as well as those from Legend and Bram Stoker's Dracula. There's quite a bit of classical, including Wagner and a 99 cent download called 100 Darkest Pieces of Classical Music. Top it off with Led Zeppelin and the music for The Hyborian Age video game, and I'm set.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/06/2014 3:19 pm  #5

I find music during actual game sessions to be annoying, so I don't use it.  I often play They Might be Giants while working on material for my games (which might explain why my adventures turn out the way they do).

"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes

3/09/2014 9:07 pm  #6

The Conan score has been re-recorded. It is excellent. Look for it. I also find Basil's work on other films most inspiring. Even Conan the Destroyer has a wonderfully evocative score. In that classic vein I also enjoy Excalibur and Leonard Rosenman's Lord of the Rings.

3/10/2014 10:57 pm  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

I find music during actual game sessions to be annoying, so I don't use it.  I often play They Might be Giants while working on material for my games (which might explain why my adventures turn out the way they do).

I heard They Might Be Giants got lost driving around. Explains a lot!

Last edited by Handy Haversack (3/10/2014 10:58 pm)

3/13/2014 1:23 pm  #8

The thing that bothers me is, someone keeps moving my chair.

"The fear of death, its risk each time, is one of the most stimulating parts of the game. It therefore behooves the referee to include as many mystifying and dangerous areas as is consistent with a reasonable chance for survival." - J. Eric Holmes

5/03/2014 6:58 am  #9

I quite like the music from Princess Mononoke and Seirei no Moribito. There's a bunch of rather creepy stuff among it that works great for anything regarded to ancient alien spirits (which is what the two are partially about.)

13th Warrior also has some great music.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

5/04/2014 6:45 am  #10

I love movie soundtracks and they are nice in games if kept low. I use Conan, of course as well as Lord f the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean sometimes and VanHelsing. The Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (kevin costner) soundtrack is decent enough, particularly the early part of the soundtrack.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

Today 8:22 am  #11

here is some dark, brooding, atmospheric background music I have just discovered that should be just about perfect for setting the mood for many AS&SH games...

https://paleowolf.bandcamp.com/

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.