!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2014 9:56 am  #1

Knights of the Old Republic

Yes, there are peope who call Star Wars science fiction for obvious reasons. But other than that people travel between locations with spaceships and their ranged weapons fire bolts of plasma rather than wood and steel, everything is just like good solid fantasy.
And the Knights of the Old Republic comics, as well as the older Tales of the Jedi series have all the things I enjoy in good Sword & Sorcery. So their ships travel through space instead of water. So what?

The comics are set in the Old Republic, 4,000 years before the movies, so you don't even need to know anything about Star Wars to understand what's going on. And since tech needs to be somewhat more primitive, it feels even more like fantasy. (Though maybe the writers and artists just didn't know anything about how space works.) It's similar to John Carter, I would say.

The okd Tales of the Jedi series is okay, I think, but you probably have to be a big fan to get something out of it. The much more recent Knghts of the Old Republic series is great though, and ranks for me next to the Conan comics.
The first primary character is the worst Jedi-Apprentice in history and fails at everything and even manages to be late for the graduation ceremony, where he is sure not to be made a knight anyway. It saves his live though, since he finds all the other students killed and it looks like their own masters did it. He barely escapes and is soon wanted for the murders, which forces him to find out the truth, together with a small criminal and an elite warrior who was hiding in the slums, until they were accidentally dragged into the whole mess. There seems to be a conspiracy of servants of the Dark Side going on, and to make things worse a massive invasion by a horde of warriors puts the whole galactic region in chaos.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

4/06/2014 6:22 pm  #2

Re: Knights of the Old Republic

I might check this out - I really enjoyed the old Xbox game. Thanks!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/07/2014 3:47 am  #3

The new Knights of the Old Republic series (one of the Tales of the Jedi storylines also has the same name) takes place in the same region two years or so before the game. I think it even starts on Taris and a few of the secondary characters play important roles.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

2/27/2015 5:37 am  #4

Chainsaw wrote:

I might check this out - I really enjoyed the old Xbox game. Thanks!

Me too! Clocked the whole thing. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.