!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2014 4:22 pm  #1

AS&SH 2nd Print?

Jeff, at one time you were considering a hardback (or two?) for the second printing. Any more thoughts? Would it include the cryomancer, purloiner and other new material? What about new art? Just curious, thanks.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/05/2014 12:48 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

There are a limited amount of boxed sets remaining. They number in the hundreds. As these get closer to selling out, I will next go with a hardback of the game. You can call it a new "printing" or a new "edition"; I realize that latter implies certain connotations that mean more than they used to mean, and in some cases even distasteful, so I use the term sparingly. Essentially, the mechanics won't change (except for a few minor tweaks, corrections, and clarifications), but there will be some expansions and presentation revisions. Expansions will include some new subclasses, such as the purloiner and the cryomancer, some new monsters, some new treasures, etc. I've even considered shortening the name to just HYPERBOREA. Yes, there will be new art and new layout. I want more monster illustrations and a few more setting-related illustrations. The new character classes will need to be illustrated. Retaining use of the present interior illustrations for the new printing/edition is possible, but not set in stone as of this time. We shall see. I also have an idea that is somewhat unconventional: a "compleat" book (hardcover) and Players' Manual (softcover). I am leaning toward the books and all future adventures presented in a standard size of 7 x 10 inches.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/05/2014 1:08 pm  #3

Awesome, thanks. Sounds like you have several interesting options to consider. We'll stay tuned. 

4/05/2014 4:05 pm  #4

Ghul wrote:

There are a limited amount of boxed sets remaining. They number in the hundreds. As these get closer to selling out, I will next go with a hardback of the game. You can call it a new "printing" or a new "edition"; I realize that latter implies certain connotations that mean more than they used to mean, and in some cases even distasteful, so I use the term sparingly. Essentially, the mechanics won't change (except for a few minor tweaks, corrections, and clarifications), but there will be some expansions and presentation revisions. Expansions will include some new subclasses, such as the purloiner and the cryomancer, some new monsters, some new treasures, etc. I've even considered shortening the name to just HYPERBOREA. Yes, there will be new art and new layout. I want more monster illustrations and a few more setting-related illustrations. The new character classes will need to be illustrated. Retaining use of the present interior illustrations for the new printing/edition is possible, but not set in stone as of this time. We shall see. I also have an idea that is somewhat unconventional: a "compleat" book (hardcover) and Players' Manual (softcover). I am leaning toward the books and all future adventures presented in a standard size of 7 x 10 inches.

Lots of great tidbits here. 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/05/2014 7:18 pm  #5

Please don't change the name. Please?

4/05/2014 7:47 pm  #6

I think a "Compleat" book and a perfect-bound player's book would be exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see. I usually do most of the GMing for the people I play with and a low barrier to entry like a reasonably priced softcover is exactly the sort of thing I can sell people on.

4/05/2014 8:39 pm  #7

Wouldn't changing the name at this point cause confusion and cost the game visibility to the public?

4/05/2014 9:05 pm  #8

I suppose you could always simply change the cover title layout a little bit, making the Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers part smaller and the Hyperborea part larger, thus retaining the original name, which has a nice pulpy feel, but still emphasizing Hyperborea.

4/06/2014 7:18 am  #9

I second Chainsaw on that and can't wait for that hardback edition.

4/06/2014 10:19 am  #10

Anthing else that might be new? ;-)

4/06/2014 10:58 am  #11

I really like the current name. Why are you thinking of changing it? Do you think a shorter name would have better recognition and therefore greater popularity and more sales?

4/06/2014 5:45 pm  #12

Assuming this is the thread for suggestions, I think a small map in gazetteer would be handy as well - an artistic representation like you'd see in a sword and sorcery novel (not a truly functional hexmap for gaming). I suggest this because I have been traveling a lot lately, reading the books and wishing I had an easy way to locate cities and geographical features without having the whole fold out map with me. Anyway, maybe something to throw in the pot.

4/06/2014 5:48 pm  #13

Chainsaw wrote:

Assuming this is the thread for suggestions, I think a small map in gazetteer would be handy as well - an artistic representation like you'd see in a sword and sorcery novel (not a truly functional hexmap for gaming). I suggest this because I have been traveling a lot lately, reading the books and wishing I had an easy way to locate cities and geographical features without having the whole fold out map with me. Anyway, maybe something to throw in the pot.

I agree with this. It would be very useful.

4/06/2014 6:20 pm  #14

chrisj wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

I agree with this. It would be very useful.

I second (third?) this suggestion.

4/06/2014 7:32 pm  #15

ajtheronin wrote:

It's just something I've given thought to from time to time. The thought usually occurs to me when someone asks me what the name of the game is that I'm involved with. It is a mouthful. But I do like the idea of downplaying the AS&S part. Sort of the way comics did it during the Bronze Age. I can't seem to post a picture right now, but "Astonishing Tales Featuring DEATHLOK The Demolisher" shows the kind of logo trade dress I'm talking about.

4/06/2014 7:33 pm  #16

Maezar wrote:

Anthing else that might be new? ;-)

How about a brand new hex map, in full color, with all new, yet traditional icons? ;)

4/06/2014 7:39 pm  #17

Chainsaw wrote:

Actually, this one is already on my list from a long time ago. I have this huge list of ideas; some will never stick, while others, like this one, are solid. Very useful for the game. Thank you! 

4/06/2014 7:52 pm  #18

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Actually, this one is already on my list from a long time ago. I have this huge list of ideas; some will never stick, while others, like this one, are solid. Very useful for the game. Thank you! 

Sounds good! Looking forward to it and the new color gaming hexmap.

4/06/2014 8:20 pm  #19

Ghul wrote:

ajtheronin wrote:

It's just something I've given thought to from time to time. The thought usually occurs to me when someone asks me what the name of the game is that I'm involved with. It is a mouthful. But I do like the idea of downplaying the AS&S part. Sort of the way comics did it during the Bronze Age. I can't seem to post a picture right now, but "Astonishing Tales Featuring DEATHLOK The Demolisher" shows the kind of logo trade dress I'm talking about.

You mean like this:

Because that would be awesome (and the smaller map will also be very welcome).

4/06/2014 8:23 pm  #20

Ok ajtheronin that was pretty amazing.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.