!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2018 7:22 am  #1

Melan's Castle Xyntillan

I referenced Melan's upcoming Castle Xyntillan here and wanted to give it its own thread. Castle Xyntillan sounds like a great fit for Hyperborea and Melan's work is always fantastic, so win-win.

"Melan" wrote:

We also wrapped up our Castle Xyntillan campaign, and publishing this dungeon will be my main objective for [2019].

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

"Melan in his blog" wrote:

Castle Xyntillan is centred around an eccentric and sinister noble family. The Malévols, a bunch of disreputable degenerates, schemers and outright evildoers, are the masters of a backwater province located somewhere in the French Alps (or anywhere else the GM wants to place it), and some of them still haunt their old family nest... whether alive or dead

Based on what I know now, I'm thinking the Malévols are Hyperboreans and that I will place this ancestral keep somewhere tucked away in those mountains on the north side of Brigands Bay. This location makes it close enough to Khromarium for a low-level crew to reach via boat and some overland travel, but not so convenient as to have already been explored. I'll assume that any petty warlords around the bay either aren't near enough to know of it, stay clear because they're fearful of its haunting or have some sort of dark arrangement with the surviving family members. Should work pretty well!

"Melan over at K&KA" wrote:

I have been meaning to write a post about the recent goings-on in the campaign, but never found the time. There is still this 2016 post, which sets out how Xyntillan came to be, and what I intended to do with it. This was shortly after we started playing - the dungeon has developed since then, although the maps you see are mostly final.

Xyntillan is not a "true" megadungeon, but it gave us about two years of play, not counting the one-offs and convention games, with about 75% explored. Ca. 260 keyed rooms spread out through a main level, various rooftops and upper stories, and underground dungeons. Suggested levels 1 to 6, with tons of henchmen. It is quite a meatgrinder.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/02/2019 9:23 pm  #2

Re: Melan's Castle Xyntillan

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/02/2019 9:39 pm  #3

12/02/2019 10:33 pm  #4

I will be running a session of this at Gary Con.

1/21/2020 11:38 am  #5

This looks awesome. Thank you for mentioning it.

1/23/2020 10:19 am  #6

My copy arrived yesterday. I have a real backlog of gaming material to read through! I guess I have been giving myself some presents. The Trilemma Adventures Compendium (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/286792/Trilemma-Adventures-Compendium-Volume-I) is also going to be super useful for any AS&SH game.

1/23/2020 11:33 am  #7

I have incorporated some of Melan's other adventures into my own HYPERBOREA campaign, such as "Tomb Complex of Ymu M'kursa" (sp?) and "Tower of Birds". I love his stuff. Very creative and innovative.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/23/2020 11:43 am  #8

My players are in Khromarium now, for the first time, and I used Melan's "Nocturnal Table" to create webs of connections and NPCs for them to flail and drown in. And when they get tired of RPing, it's into the "Complex of Rising Tombs"!

3/02/2020 11:27 pm  #9

I'm a big fan of Melan's work (take a look at the The Barbarian King). I received my copy of Castle Xyntillan today and can easily imagine it as the the crumbling palace of a once-great Hyperborean line now fallen into ruin. I'd enjoy it if people shared how they plan to use it in their own campaigns. 

8/23/2020 7:47 pm  #10

I'm still trying to see if we can fit Castle Yntillan in with the current group. Levels-wise they're too high for it.

I've have found that Gabor's Gont, Nest of Spies is pretty wonderful when used as one of those towns on Brigand Bay. As always, lots of flavor and lots of locations. My players love it.

8/23/2020 7:49 pm  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

My players are in Khromarium now, for the first time, and I used Melan's "Nocturnal Table" to create webs of connections and NPCs for them to flail and drown in. And when they get tired of RPing, it's into the "Complex of Rising Tombs"!

We too had a lot of fun with the Nocturnal Table and Khromarium. The players liked it quite a bit, lots of random and fun encounters and situations.

11/04/2020 2:49 pm  #12

speaking of Gabor (can you tell I'm a fan) he also recently released this free micro-setting/hexcrawl called Gloomywood.

Lots of fun ideas, I could see this stuck in the mountains East North East of Khromarium. 

11/11/2020 2:16 pm  #13

alShanfara wrote:

speaking of Gabor (can you tell I'm a fan) he also recently released this free micro-setting/hexcrawl called Gloomywood.

Lots of fun ideas, I could see this stuck in the mountains East North East of Khromarium. 

I'll check it out! I enjoy his work immensely.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.