Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2018 11:33 pm  #1

The Drums of Xambaala are Calling

After a couple of months we finally got the group together to play tonight.  I had hoped to run Anthropophagi of Xambaala, but after reading through it, I was a little concerned about an entirely first level party making it through.  So instead I pulled the not so classic 1st edition adventure C3--Lost Island of Castanamir off the shelf, on the grounds that it is fairly short and did not seem all that lethal.  Figured it would be a good way to get the players back into their characters after a hiatus and pick up some XP to level up.

But, these being 1st level characters, the chance for death is always high.  There's not much combat in that module, but a few poor die rolls and a couple tough foes almost did them in.  Their huntsman was done to zero HP and only saved by the shaman administering first aid and shoving a potion of extra healing down his throat.  And the berserker was only saved by his bonus rage HP, in a combat with other berserkers, by the way.  He went through the whole second half of the adventure with 2 HP, hoping to not get cut down.  And I should add that all my first level PCs get a 20 HP "kicker" at character creation.  So they all had at least 22 HP.  Had they been standard 1st level characters, they'd likely be dead, though we do use criticals and exploding dice, both of which played a role in the aforementioned mayhem.

But they made it through and leveled up, so now all the PCs are 2nd or 3rd level, which should help with the Xambaala adventures.  We can hear the drums.....the drums......beating in the hot desert night.....

"You were pumping iron as I was pumping irony."--Robert Plant

10/06/2018 6:24 am  #2

Re: The Drums of Xambaala are Calling

Sounds like a good time, Spider. I will have to check out C3 - thanks for the pointer.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/06/2018 9:26 am  #3

Good god...exploding dice, crits, & a  20HP!!!!! kicker?
Maybe these guys need to learn about the most important 1st level character ability -- RUN! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

10/06/2018 7:20 pm  #4

Iron Ranger wrote:

Good god...exploding dice, crits, & a  20HP!!!!! kicker?
Maybe these guys need to learn about the most important 1st level character ability -- RUN! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Believe me; even with the kicker, they run.  Because the crits can be lethal.  You just tend to not die from the first giant rat bite.  This gives them a better chance to make it through the first couple levels.  At higher levels, the crits and exploding dice still keep things very interesting, because any combat can get lethal pretty quickly.  But it can also be very satisfying for the PCs to take out a tough villain with a single devastating hit or spell.

Our crit system is simple:
On a natural 20 you get a critical.  Roll a second d20:
1-15: x2 damage
16-17: x3 damage
18-19: x4 damage
20: x5 damage

Damage causing spells score a crit if the save is a natural 1.  Roll d20 like above.

Of course the exploding dice still apply so if you say, rolled three straight 10s and a d10, added bonuses for strength or magic and say, did 36 points of damage, with those multipliers it can be epic.

"You were pumping iron as I was pumping irony."--Robert Plant

10/06/2018 7:40 pm  #5

If your group's having fun, you're doing it the right way for your group. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2018 North Wind Adventures, LLC.