!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2018 12:14 pm  #1

Advanced Combat

Not sure if this has been discussed:
How many of you use the advanced combat rules?
For the game, I really like the flavor it can bring and options. What are your experiences?
Please discuss...

9/29/2018 10:12 pm  #2

Re: Advanced Combat

Use them, but don't let them bog things down. Make rulings on gut and memory if you can't recall precisely how a maneuver works. Reference it between sessions. As long as players have a roll, they'll forgive you if you explain that it'll work by the book next time.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

9/30/2018 3:26 pm  #3

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Use them, but don't let them bog things down. Make rulings on gut and memory if you can't recall precisely how a maneuver works. Reference it between sessions. As long as players have a roll, they'll forgive you if you explain that it'll work by the book next time.

Very true!

To get away from looking things up, players can also have the mechanics (adjustments/etc) written down on their character sheet. Some of the advanced combat rules, i.e., Off-Hand Weapon Parry, are probably going to be used often.

I don't see most advanced combat bogging play down if players know what they are going to do ahead of time. The rules are simple. I like the flavor.

9/30/2018 5:10 pm  #4

achiriaco wrote:

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Very true!

To get away from looking things up, players can also have the mechanics (adjustments/etc) written down on their character sheet. Some of the advanced combat rules, i.e., Off-Hand Weapon Parry, are probably going to be used often.

I don't see most advanced combat bogging play down if players know what they are going to do ahead of time. The rules are simple. I like the flavor.

Don't disagree with this, but personally I like to look stuff up and I love to stop the game and pull out the books! I mean isn't that why we're there? Isn't that why I lugged it all there? Maybe it's just me, but it's fun. 

9/30/2018 6:43 pm  #5

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Very true!

Don't disagree with this, but personally I like to look stuff up and I love to stop the game and pull out the books! I mean isn't that why we're there? Isn't that why I lugged it all there? Maybe it's just me, but it's fun. 

STOP THE GAME!!!!

9/30/2018 6:48 pm  #6

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Very true!

STOP THE GAME!!!!

Seriously, sometimes I like that part the best!

2/13/2019 10:03 am  #7

Resurrecting this thread. Rereading through the advanced combat actions after my boys were playtesting Lost Cairns of the Savages the other day, where a horde of trap-door spiders were assaulting them, they decided to Parry and Block and withdraw. Here is where my question comes in (Jeff and David; dont kill me); why is it when a PC is parrying and blocking does it give the attacker an opportunity to "sunder" shields and weapons on a d20? I mean; the text even gives a chance to break MAGICAL weapons!! 

No where else in the rules (I am speculating here, and only because I have not found it) can an enemy break magical weapons on a nat 20. Why when the defender chooses to employ Parry and Block?

I get the idea that the assailant will be able to much more carefully land blows, but break magical weapons? And if that is the case, why only a +2 AC bonus?

Anyone help me out here?

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/13/2019 10:30 am  #8

I suppose because "parrying" specifically suggests you are stopping the blows with your own weapon, which would increase the chance of your weapon breaking. Also probably to impose a cost in exchange for the AC bonus, so your players won't be using it all the time.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/13/2019 10:57 am  #9

achiriaco wrote:

For the game, I really like the flavor it can bring and options. What are your experiences?
Please discuss...

Almost never, and when I say almost never I cannot remember a single instance.  Not to say the players don't try interesting things in combat they just don't use the advanced rules.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/13/2019 11:45 am  #10

Blackadder23 wrote:

I suppose because "parrying" specifically suggests you are stopping the blows with your own weapon, which would increase the chance of your weapon breaking. Also probably to impose a cost in exchange for the AC bonus, so your players won't be using it all the time.

Agreed.
And it is important to me that even magical items can be destroyed in this game.

2/13/2019 12:11 pm  #11

Iron Ranger wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Agreed.
And it is important to me that even magical items can be destroyed in this game.

Damn skippy. I wish they were destroyed more often -- I'd give more out! Conan never seemed to worry over THIS sword -- there are always more swords. But players. Hoo.

My players remember the advanced moves periodically, get excited, make a lot of jokes about recumbent fire, and forget. If you want them to remember, use them against them!

2/13/2019 2:53 pm  #12

Handy Haversack wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Agreed.

Damn skippy. I wish they were destroyed more often -- I'd give more out! Conan never seemed to worry over THIS sword -- there are always more swords. But players. Hoo.

My players remember the advanced moves periodically, get excited, make a lot of jokes about recumbent fire, and forget. If you want them to remember, use them against them!

Always do!!!

2/13/2019 5:25 pm  #13

mabon5127 wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Please discuss...

Almost never, and when I say almost never I cannot remember a single instance.  Not to say the players don't try interesting things in combat they just don't use the advanced rules.

Same here: I encourage my players to use "advanced thinking", hand out whatever modifiers I think apply, and never consult the Adv. Combat rules.
But for parrying/blocking, I've toyed with allowing PCs to apply their full FA as a modifier "not to be hit", in exchange for sacrificing their attack, but haven't bothered to work through the math and consequences of such.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/13/2019 5:36 pm  #14

rhialto wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Please discuss...

Same here: I encourage my players to use "advanced thinking", hand out whatever modifiers I think apply, and never consult the Adv. Combat rules.
But for parrying/blocking, I've toyed with allowing PCs to apply their full FA as a modifier "not to be hit", in exchange for sacrificing their attack, but haven't bothered to work through the math and consequences of such.

Interestingly I allowed a similar thing.  Fighters could shift up to half their FA from offense to AC. One enjoyed the flexibility and strategy of the rule.  We went RAW for the campaign we just started.

While in my soul forever

2/13/2019 6:28 pm  #15

I insist that recumbent fire be LARPed out.

2/13/2019 11:17 pm  #16

Iron Ranger wrote:

Yes, I feel that all but the most extraordinary artifacts should be capable of being destroyed through mundane means. 

2/14/2019 7:03 am  #17

mabon5127 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Interestingly I allowed a similar thing.  Fighters could shift up to half their FA from offense to AC. One enjoyed the flexibility and strategy of the rule.  We went RAW for the campaign we just started.

As an aside, for houserules in general, I've considered a list of houserules which are all optional for the individual players to choose from. Again, not sure how it would work in practice.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

2/15/2019 1:07 pm  #18

Good explanations everyone. Hmmm.... I still sort of disagree with the idea that just because you are blocking would confer any more chance that your weapon would break.

IF I beat a sword against a sword in melee,  it is hitting a sword. If I am blocking with my sword, its still hitting (or being hit by) a sword. Wouldn't it stand to reason that a shitty sword would break over a magical one regardless of it being the blocking one or the attacking one? But I also see if from a (argh) game balance sort of thing. 

I dont typically use the advanced options either, but when they apply I try to consult them to make sure I am being fair in my adjudication. 

Thanks for all the responses. 

@Mabon5127- I like the idea of adding the FA into it....

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/15/2019 4:45 pm  #19

mavfire wrote:

@Mabon5127- I like the idea of adding the FA into it....

Didn't seem to unbalance anything.  I like the versatility it gave the fighters.

While in my soul forever

2/16/2019 3:24 pm  #20

Adding FA to the parry tactic...intriguing idea.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.